You can enroll for one of Glenn's nine lifelong learning classes. Glenn's popular course "Understanding Opera" is sponsored by colleges and universities throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Classes scheduled for Fall, 2015 include the following (click on the links to go to any program's website for more information):
- Christopher Newport University's Lifelong Learning Society. Meets Thursdays from 2:30-3:45 PM for five consecutive weeks beginning September 10, 2015 at the Yoder Barn Theater, Newport News.
- The College of William and Mary's Christopher Wren Association. Meets Thursdays from 9:30-11:30 AM for three consecutive weeks beginning September 17, 2015 at the Campus Center Little Theater,Williamsburg.
- Old Dominion University's Institute for Learning in Retirement. Meets for a single class for each Virginia Opera mainstage production beginning Wednesday, August 26, 2015 from 1:00-3:00 PM at the Higher Education Center, Virginia Beach.
- The University of Richmond's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Meets Wednesdays from 1:00-3:00 PM for three consecutive weeks beginning September 16, 2014.
- The Lifelong Learning Institute of Chesterfield. Meets Tuesdays from 11:00 AM-12:30 PM for four consecutive weeks beginning September 23, 2015 in Midlothian.
- The University of Virginia's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Meets Fridays from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM for three consecutive weeks beginning September 4, 2015 at Meadows Presbyterian Church, Charlottesville.
- George Mason University's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Meets Mondays from 2:00-3:30 PM for four consecutive weeks beginning September 21, 2015 in Fairfax.
- The Lifetime Learning Institute of Northern Virginia. Meets Mondays from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM for three consecutive weeks beginning September 14, 2015 in Annandale.
- The Lifelong Learning Institute of Manassas. Meets Wednesdays from 10:30 AM-12:00 PM for four classes beginning September 16, 2015 in Manassas. NOTE: the first two classes meet on Wednesdays, 9/16 & 9/23; the final two classes meet on Friday, 9/25 & 10/2.
- The Encore Learning program at Paul D. Camp Community College will offer single classes for the final two productions of the season on January 26 and March 29, 2016
- Church groups
- Book study clubs
- High school music or theater students
- Music clubs
- Men's or Women's clubs
- Civic League groups
- Retirement communities
- Academic societies
- and many more!
Going to a performance of Virginia Opera? Make a point to arrive 45 minutes prior to curtain time to hear Glenn's brilliant Opera Up Close pre-curtain lectures. Opera Up Close is presented at each performance, whether at the Harrison Opera House in Norfolk, the Carpenter Theater in Richmond, or the Center for the Performing Arts on the GMU campus in Fairfax. Don't miss this opportunity to enhance your opera-going enjoyment!
Operation Opera is on the air! Glenn is proud of his partnerships with local public radio stations. Again this year, his hour-long broadcast previews of Virginia Opera productions will be featured on WHRO 90.3 FM at 90.3 in Norfolk and WCVE 88.9 FM in Richmond. Listen live on your radio, via streaming audio at your computer, or anytime as a podcast.
Follow Glenn on Twitter! You'll find him on the Twittersphere as @operaglenn. You never know what he'll be tweeting about - it might be opera, food, or even sports!